I think I'd be happy if xkcd switched from comics to just monthly epic data presentations like this. Here are some interesting things I found in it:
- Annual cost of: cat - $670, internet - $720, cellphone - $928
- 1965 ratio of CEO pay to production worker pay = 25x. 2007 ratio = 275x.
- That royal wedding used $800,000 in flowers.
- Iraq war cost more than Vietnam.
- Combined Iraq/Afghanistan wars cost about 25% of WWII.
- Nuclear power plus a Fukushima level accident every year costs less than solar or coal with external costs (although less than on shore wind).
- State taxes are surprisingly regressive.
- Apple has $76 billion in cash reserves, they could buy 15 Nimitz class carriers (at $5 billion each, US has 10), or 422 F-22 Raptors (US has 187).
- Walmart's annual profit of $16.4 billion could fund 88% of NASA's annual budget of $18.6 billion.